Welcome to the Workforce Reference Guide for FIP Development Goal 5 Competency development. This guide collates all information, evidence and expertise from FIP to support our members with measuring progress, evaluation, implementation and transformation processes. To access the full Workforce Reference Guide for the FIP Development Goals, click here.
FIP Development Goal 5 Workforce Element
Globally, we will have:
Clear and accessible developmental frameworks describing competencies and scope of practice for all stages of professional careers. This should include leadership development frameworks for the pharmaceutical workforce.
- Use of evidence-based developmental frameworks to support the translation of pharmaceutical science within scope of practice, across all settings and according to local/national needs.
- Support professional career development by using tools, such as competency frameworks, describing competencies and behaviours across all settings.
- Evidence of clear policy that links leadership development (from early years) with competence attainment for the advancement of practice activities.
View all elements of FIP Development Goal 5 here.
FIP frameworks & tools
- FIP Global Competency Framework Version 2: Supporting the development of foundation and early career pharmacists (2020).
- FIP Global Advanced Development Handbook: Supporting the advancement of the profession (2020)
- FIP Education Initiatives. Pharmacy Education Taskforce: A Global Competency Framework Version 1. Supporting the development of foundation and early career pharmacists (2012).
- Transforming our workforce | Workforce development and education: systems, tools and navigation (2016)
- Continuing Professional Development/Continuing Education in Pharmacy: Global Report (2014)
- FIPEd Global Education Report (2013)
- FIP Global Pharmacy Workforce Report (2012)
- Arakawa, N., Yamamura, S., Duggan, C., and Bates, I., The development of a foundation-level pharmacycompetency framework: An analysis of country-level applicabilityof the Global Competency Framework.Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 2020;16:396-404.
- Arakawa, N.Future of Pharmacists in Japan: A consideration based on global research activities.Journal ofPharmaceutical Science and Technology, Japan,2015;75:137-139. [Japanese]
- Arakawa, N. (2018). Part 2: Professional Development and Competencies for Pharmacists. In:T.Akase (ed.)Pharmacy Management (3) Achieving Organisational Goals by WorkforceDevelopment at Different Levels. Tokyo: Igaku Academy.[Japanese]
- Arakawa, N., Bruno-Tomé, A., and Bates, I., A Global Comparison of Initial Pharmacy Education Curricula: An Exploratory Study. INNOVATIONS in Pharmacy, 2020;11:18.
- Arakawa, N. and Anderson, C., Challenges and opportunities in conducting health services research through international collaborations: A review of personal experiences. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 2020;In Press
- Bruno, A., Bader, L., Bates, I., Brock, T., Galbraith, K., Anderson, C., Larson, I., Paulino, E., Rouse, M., Tofade, T., Boone, J., Carrasqueira, J., James, S., Whitley, Y., Structured Multi-Stakeholder Workshops to Advance a Global Transformative Roadmap for Pharmaceutical Workforce. INNOVATIONS in Pharmacy. 2018: 9(3): article 13. DOI: https://doi.org/10.24926/iip.v9i3.1272
- Udoh, A., Bruno, A., Bates, I., A survey of pharmacists’ perception of foundation level competencies in African countries. Human Resources for Health, 2018; 16:16. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-018-0280-1
- Bruno, A., Bates, I., Brock, T., Anderson, C., Towards a Global Competency Framework. Am J Pharm Educ, 2010; 74(3): p. 56.
- Bates, I., Bruno, A., Competence in the Global Pharmacy Workforce. A discussion paper. Int Pharm J, 2008; Vol 23: 30-33.
Related events & training
Workforce Development Hub Global Leads for FIP Development Goal 5
Andreia Bruno-Tome (Australia)
Project manager & lecturer, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
Senior Associate Editor Pharmacy Education Journal.
Naoko Arakawa (UK)
Assistant Professor in International Pharmacy, University of Nottingham, School of Pharmacy
Arijana Mestrovic (Croatia)
University of Split, School of Pharmacy, Assistant Professor, Social Pharmacy and Patient Care; Pharma Expert, Consultancy and Education, Director, Professional Affairs
Find out more about the FIP Workforce Development Hub and our other Global Leads here.
We are developing the FIP Global Competency Framework for Educators & Trainers in Pharmacy (GCFE) in collaboration with the FIP Academic Pharmacy Section (AcPS).
- We’re also supporting the development of an FIP Humanitarian Pharmacy Competency Framework - a competency frameworks pharmacists working in the humanitarian arena. This is a collaboration with FIP Military and Emergency Pharmacy Section (MEPS). The Framework is expected to be released in 2021.
Bibliography & further reading
- Gruppen, L.D., Burkhardt, J.C., Fitzgerald, J.T., Funnell, M., Haftel, H.M., Lypson, M.L., Mullan,P.B., Santen, S.A., Sheets, K.J., Stalburg, C.M., and Vasquez, J.A., Competency-based education: programme design and challenges to implementation. Medical Education, 2016;50:532-539.
- Gruppen, L.D., Mangrulkar, R.S., and Kolars, J.C., The promise of competency-based education in the health professionas for improving global health. Human Resources for Health, 2012;10:43
- Rouse M, Mestrovic A. Learn Today-Apply Tomorrow – The SMART Pharmacist Program, Pharmacy 2020, 8, 139; doi:10.3390/pharmacy8030139
- Stupans I, Atkinson J, Meštrović A, Nash R, Rouse MJ. A Shared Focus: Comparing the Australian, Canadian, United Kingdom and United States Pharmacy Learning Outcome Frameworks and the Global Competency Framework, Pharmacy 2016, 4, 26; doi:10.3390/pharmacy 4030026
- Meštrović A, Staničić Z, Bates I, Ortner M, Mucalo I, Duggan C, Carter S, Kosicek M, Bruno A. Individualized Education and Competency Development of Croatian Community Pharmacists Using the General Level Framework. Am J Pharm Educ 2012; 76 (2): 23.
- Meštrović A. Are we Competent in Pharmacy Practice? What are Pharmacist Competencies and How can they be Measured and Developed? Adv Pharmacoepidem Drug Safety 2012: 1:116.
- Meštrović A, Staničić Z, Bates I, Ortner M, Mucalo I, Duggan C, Carter S, Bruno A. Evaluation of Croatian Community Pharmacists’ Patient Care Competencies Using the General Level Framework. Am J Pharm Educ 2011; 75 (2): 36.
- Bruno, A., Eckel, S., Chapter: Competency standards for clinical pharmacists. Encyclopedia of Pharmacy Practice and Clinical Pharmacy. Elsevier (Book Chapter). 1 January 2019, Pages 56-65. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-812735-3.00111-4
- Bruno-Tomé, A., Hadžiabdić, M.O., Mucalo, I., Rennie, T., Competency (and Beyond): Think Patient. Collaborate. Develop. Evaluate. Improve. Repeat. Pharmacy 2019, 7, 146; DOI: 10.3390/pharmacy7040146
- Bekema, C., Bruno-Tomé, A., Butnoris, M., Carter, J., Diprose, E., Hickman, L., Raleigh, R., Teasdale, T.L., Standard of Practice for Pharmacy Technicians to support Clinical Pharmacy Services. The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia, 2019. Available at: https://www.shpa.org.au/resources/standards-of-practice-for-clinical-pharmacy-services (chapter 12)
- Držaić, M., Kummer, I., Mucalo, I., Bruno, A., Hadžiabdić, M.O., Identifying self-assessed competencies and areas for improvement within community pharmacist-preceptors support during pre-registration training. BMC Med Educ. 2018 Dec 11;18(1):303. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-018-1413-x
- Mucalo, I., Hadžiabdić, M.O., Govorčinović, T., Šarić, M., Bruno, A., Bates, I., The Development of the Croatian Competency Framework for Pharmacists. Am J Pharm Educ, 2016; 80(8): article 134.
- Udoh, A., Bruno, A., Bates, I., Developing the Global Pharmacy Workforce: An Opportunity for Stakeholders' Engagement in Africa. The African Pharmacist, 2014, 2: 41-42.
- Brown, A.N., Gilbert, B., Bruno, A.F., Development of an Essential Medicine Supply Competency Framework for Primary Healthcare Personnel: Participatory Action Research. International Journal of Nursing, 2012: I (2), 13-24.
- Brown, A.N., Gilbert, B., Bruno, A.F., Cooper, G., Validated Competency Framework for Delivery of Pharmacy Services within Pacific-Island Countries. J Pharm Pract Res 2012; 42: 268-272.
Find out more about the FIP Workforce Reference Guide and explore it fully here.