We offer webinars related to military and emergency practice. Previous webinars (accessible to FIP members) include:
- Emergency legislation for use in disaster situations
- How pharmacists can support and advise patients during Ramadan
At the FIP congress
Military and emergency pharmacy colleagues from around the world gather annually at the World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences The section meets as a whole during the last two congress days of which one day is usually organised by the military of the host country. This normally involves a visit to a local military establishment (navy, army or airforce) where members are shown different evacuation methods, deployable hospital containerisation, field surgical facilities, various training methods, etc. Specialised companies may also be invited by the host to demonstrate new medicines or medical material appropriate to military medicine.
The other day is a “classroom” day with presentations based on the main theme of each congress.
Examples of previous topics include:
- Humanitarian and disaster relief (HA/DR) responses
- Making medicines information understandable to the illiterate/uneducated (e.g, pictograms)
- Role of the pharmacist in pandemics (eg. influenza, cholera)
- Role of the pharmacist in the pharmaceutical supply chain
- Law and order in emergency pharmacy practice
- Role of the pharmacist in managing emerging diseases
- Disaster situations — dealing with the personal aftermath
- Creating progress through innovative policy decisions in emergency situations
- Pharmacy health policy for management in military and emergency pharmacy practice
- Pharmacologistics: Getting medicines to patients in emergency situations
- FIP-Red Cross Healthcare In Danger Campaign: Working in emergency situations
We regularly publish newsletters containing information about developments in our field, papers, personal experiences, summaries of congress presentations and much more. Military and emergency pharmacists take being excellent communicators to the next level by being able to do it in a wide variety of abnormal environments. Furthermore, MEPS members regularly communicate via group emails, the FIP online discussion forum and face-to-face. MEPS members can access newsletters here.
If anyone has anything to share with the section, please contact the MEPS communications manager, Wendy Walker (email@example.com).
The FIP MEPS frequently establishes working groups of interested members to investigate special topics and report their findings. These topics include:
- Emergency preparedness of pharmacists for natural disasters (guideline development)
- Technicians and pharmacy support workforce cadres working with pharmacists (introductory global descriptive study)
The MEPS annual report is avaiable here.