FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
Pharmacists’ experiences in crises in Lebanon: The Lebanese financial crisis, COVID-19 pandemic, and the Beirut Port blast.
‘Hearing from our heroes’ is a series dedicated to hearing from our colleagues from around the world about their experiences in the last year.
This webinar is dedicated to hearing from the unsung heroes practicing pharmacy in Lebanon; under extremely dire socio-economic conditions compounded by exceptional professional demands of the COVID-19 pandemic. A group of academic researchers sought to explore the experiences of community pharmacists in Lebanon enduring multiple crises: the debilitating Lebanese financial crisis, COVID-19 pandemic, and the Beirut Port Blast.
As this research project unfolded, this research group felt compelled to share some of their findings with the FIP community. These findings tell a story of great resilience and adaptability among Lebanese pharmacist in the midst of crippling crises.
1. Highlight socio-economic and professional circumstances that contribute to distress in pharmacy practice in low- to middle-income country settings.
2. Raise awareness about the unique experiences and challenges of pharmacists facing multiple crises in Lebanon.
3. Discuss professional ethics, resilience, and mental health in the face of extreme distress and in the context of pharmacy practice.
4. Highlight the importance of leadership and advocacy in times of difficulties/crises.
- Catherine Duggan, CEO, FIP - The Netherlands
- Dalia Bajis, FIP Lead for Provision and Partnerships, FIP - Bahrain
- Marwan Akel, Chairperson, Lebanese International University - Lebanon
- Waël ABI GHANEM, Chief Pharmacist, Saint George Hospital UMC - Lebanon
- Alicia Peña Bizama, Chartered Counselling Psychologist and an Occupational Psychologist, University of Reading, also works as an independent consultant - UK
- Betty Chaar, Associate Professor, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine and Health, The University of Sydney - Australia
- Luna El Bizri, Founder and Manager, Lunapharm Pharmacy - Lebanon