Welcome to the Workforce Reference Guide for FIP Development Goal 9 Continuing professional development strategies. This guide collates all information, evidence and expertise from FIP to support our members with measuring progress, evaluation, implementation and transformation processes. To access the full Workforce Reference Guide for the FIP Development Goals, click here.
FIP Development Goal 9 Workforce Element
Globally, we will have:
All professional development activity clearly linked with needs-based health policy initiatives and pharmaceutical career development pathways.
- Evidence of an effective continuing professional development strategy according to national and local needs.
- Development of programmes to support professional development across all settings of practice and all stages of a pharmacist’s career.Ideally, this should be linked with all professional development activities across the workforce.
- Education in continuing professional development strategies and self-directed behaviours should be initiated at the student level.
- Development of programmes to support return to practice after career breaks or sector changes.
View all elements of FIP Development Goal 9 here.
- Bader L, Mukhalalati B, Awaisu A, Tofade T, , et al. 2019, 'Using a global framework for health workforce development: National case studies on continuing professional development in pharmacy', MedEdPublish, 8, , 44, https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2019.000044.1
Workforce Development Hub Global Leads for FIP Development Goal 9
Amy Chan (New Zealand)
Professional Development and Research Lead, Commonwealth Pharmacists’ Association; Senior Clinical Research Fellow, University of Auckland.
Rula Darwish (Jordan)
Professor in School of Pharmacy /The University of Jordan, Chair of Continuous professional education (CPD) chair in JPA.
Jarrod McMaugh (Australia)
Pharmaceutical Society of Australia – Project Pharmacist
Find out more about the FIP Workforce Development Hub and our other Global Leads here.
We are preparing to support FIP with wider provision & training.
We are writing up the results of a Commonwealth survey of CPD standards in preparation for publication.
We submitted a chapter on CPD in pharmacy to a global publication “Pharmacy Practice Research Case Studies: Global Perspective and Examples” published by Elsevier 2021.
Bibliography & further reading
- WHO Human Resources for Health Global strategy on human resources for health: Workforce 2030
Find out more about the FIP Workforce Reference Guide and explore it fully here.