Welcome to the Workforce Reference Guide for FIP Development Goal 2 Early career training strategy. This guide collates all information, evidence and expertise from FIP to support our members with measuring progress, evaluation, implementation and transformation processes. To access the full Workforce Reference Guide for the FIP Development Goals, click here.
FIP Development Goal 2 Workforce Element
Globally, we will have:
Foundation training infrastructures in place for the early post-registration (post-licensing) years of the pharmaceutical workforce as a basis for consolidating initial education and training and progressing the novice workforce towards advanced practice.
- Create clear and purposeful education and training pathways/programmes to support post-registration (post-graduation) foundation training (clinical practice and pharmaceutical science areas).
- Develop early career maps and frameworks to support a seamless transition into early career practice and towards advanced practice.
- Develop structured approaches to early career mentoring systems to support novice practitioners to engage with peers and preceptors (including clinical practice and pharmaceutical science areas across the pharmaceutical workforce).
- Using data and evidence to support investment in early career training.
View all elements of FIP Development Goal 2 here.
FIP frameworks & tools
- International Pharmaceutical Federation 2020 FIP’s vision, mission and strategic plan; The Hague, NETH, 2008. https://www.fip.org/file/4369
- International Pharmaceutical Federation 2013 FIPEd global education report; The Hague, NETH, 2013. https://www.fip.org/files/fip/FIPEd_Global_Education_Report_2013.pdf
- International Pharmaceutical Federation Advancing the global pharmaceutical workforce towards achieving universal health coverage and the UN Sustainable Development Goals; The Hague, NETH, 2017. https://www.fip.org/files/fip/PharmacyEducation/2017/WHA_2017.pdf
- International Pharmaceutical Federation Pharmaceutical Workforce Development Goals; The Hague, NETH, 2016. https://www.fip.org/files/fip/PharmacyEducation/2016_report/2016-11-Education-workforce-development-goals.pdf
- International Pharmaceutical Federation Quality Assurance of Pharmacy Education: The FIP Global Framework; The Hague, NETH, 2014. https://www.fip.org/files/fip/PharmacyEducation/Quality_Assurance/QA_Framework_2nd_Edition_online_version.pdf
- International Pharmaceutical Federation Nanjing Statements - statements on pharmcy and pharmaceutical sciences education; The Hague, NETH, 2017. https://www.fip.org/files/content/priority-areas/workforce/nanjing-statements.pdf
- Al-Haqan A, Smith F, Bader L, Bates I. (2020), Competency development for pharmacy: Adopting and adapting the Global Competency Framework. Res Social Adm Pharm. [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 10]. doi:10.1016/j.sapharm.2020.06.023
- Al-Haqan A, Smith F, Al-Taweel D, Bader L, Bates I. (2020), Using a global systematic framework tool to guide the advancement of the pharmacy workforce education and training on a national level. Res Social Adm Pharm. [published online ahead of print, 2020 Aug 17]. doi:10.1016/j.sapharm.2020.08.008
- Bajis, D.; Moles, R.; Chaar, B., Stakeholders' perspectives on quality assurance of pharmacy education in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. Am. J. Pharm. Educ. 2018, 82 (10), 6482. doi: 10.5688/ajpe6482
- Bajis, D.; Chaar, B.; Penm, J.; Moles, R., Competency-based pharmacy education in the Eastern Mediterranean Region—A scoping review. Curr. Pharm. Teach. Learn 2016, 8 (3), 401-428. doi:10.1016/j.cptl.2016.02.003
- Mukhalalati BA, Bader L, Alhaqan A, Bates I. (2019), Transforming the pharmaceutical workforce in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: a call for action. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, 26(6):1-5. doi.org/10.26719/emhj.19.064
Related events & training
Workforce Development Hub Global Leads for FIP Development Goal 2
Asma Al Haqan (Kuwait)
Clinical Instructor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kuwait University.
Dalia Bajis (Australia)
Research Affiliate, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine and Health, The University of Sydney.
Shepard Mhlaba (Zimbabwe)
Pharmacist, Drug and Toxicology Information Services
Find out more about the FIP Workforce Development Hub and our other Global Leads here.
- We are working on expanding the FIP Global Competency Framework Version 2 into a full handbook with more case studies and implementation guidance.
Bibliography & further reading
- Bajis, D.; Chaar, B.; Moles, R., Rethinking Competence: A Nexus of Educational Models in the Context of Lifelong Learning. Pharmacy 2020, 8 (2), 81. doi:10.3390/pharmacy8020081
- Bajis, D.; Chaar, B.; Basheti, I.; Moles, R., Identifying perceptions of academic reform in pharmacy using a four-frame organizational change model. Res. Social Adm. Pharm. 2017, 14 (10), 921-930. doi:10.1016/J.SAPHARM.2017.11.006
Find out more about the FIP Workforce Reference Guide and explore it fully here.