FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
Developing Global Pharmacist Travel Health Services
The demand for travel health and travel medicine services is rapidly growing with the return levels of international travel. Patients are frequently turning to community pharmacies for advice on disease reduction and maintaining personal health whilst travelling. Pretravel preparation is important for many reasons one of which is supporting Global Health policies and strategies.
In some countries legislation has been devolved to allow pharmacists to prescribe medication and vaccinate travellers. However, this is not the situation globally and the many countries place restrictions on this type of pharmacy practice.
- To raise the awareness of pretravel consultation service that can be provided in a community setting without prescribing or vaccination.
- To identify over-the-counter products that can be supplied to support travellers visiting a pharmacy
- Compare and contrast classes of over-the-counter products for selected conditions and identify/select appropriate patients for their use.
- Showcase the collaborations with the International Institute of Travel Medicine through membership of ISTM and completion of Certificate of Health
- Daragh Connolly, President Community Pharmacy Section, Ireland
- Derek Evans, Pharmacist Specialist in Travel Medicine Evans Travel Health consultancy, UK
- Karl Hess, Director, Community Pharmacy Practice Innovations Department of Pharmacy Practice, Chapman University School of Pharmacy, Irvine, California, USA
- Sheila Seed, Professor and Chair of Pharmacy Practice, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, USA
- Larry Goodyer, Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Leicester School of Pharmacy Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, De Montfort University, UK