FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
The role of pharmacists in the prevention, screening and treatment management of HIV: An international update
At this event on World AIDS day, we will explore the different roles pharmacists can have in the prevention and screening of HIV infections, as well as in providing care and support to people living with HIV, namely through medication management. Other roles for pharmacists include HIV prevention through dispensing and providing support to preexposure prophylaxis (PrEP), HIV testing and harm reduction strategies for IV drugs users.
The World Health Organization estimates that around 38 million people live with HIV globally. Although there is still no cure for HIV, with the advancement of therapies and increasing access to effective HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care, including for opportunistic infections, HIV infection has become a manageable chronic health condition, enabling people living with HIV to lead long and healthy lives.
1. Describe the burden and characteristics of HIV globally.
2. Understand the possibilities of involvement of pharmacists in the clinical care of people living with HIV.
3. Describe the role of pharmacists in PrEP-related services.
- Victoria Garcia Cardenas, FIP Pharmacy Practice Research SIG, Chair Senior Lecturer University of Technology Sydney, Australia / Spain
- Sham Moodley, FIP CPS Exco Member, Pharmacist Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa/Independent Community Pharmacy Assoc (ICPA), South Africa
- Nelli Barrière, Project Manager, HIV Programmes and Advocacy International AIDS Society, Switzerland
- Pilar Taberner Bonastre, Hospital pharmacist, Hospital Universitario Arnau de Vilanova, Lleida Spain
- Katrina F. Ortblad, Assistant Professor Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, United States of America
- Tessa Oraro-Lawrence, Project Manager, HIV Programmes and Advocacy International AIDS Society, Switzerland