FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
Long COVID and pharmacy: Managing the long-term effects of COVID-19
Long covid, also known as post COVID-19 condition, is estimated to affect 10-20% of people who develop COVID-19. While the majority go on to fully recover, this group of people suffer a variety of physical, physiological and cognitive symptoms for many weeks, months and sometimes longer. The condition can be debilitating and recovery requires a holistic and personalised care approach, including pharmaceutical care.
This event by FIP aims to explore in more depth what long covid is, what the key characteristics and symptoms are and how these symptoms can be managed in the pharmacy. The panellists include a public health expert on long-covid-19, a clinical pharmacist who is recovering from long covid, a physiotherapist and more.
1. Describe the key characteristics and symptoms of long COVID-19
2. Understand the latest research and evidence concerning treatment and care
3. Discuss ways long covid symptoms can be managed in the pharmacy
4. Identify the importance of pharmacists' understanding of the condition and care needs
- Leonila Ocampo, FIP Community Pharmacy Section, Asia Pacific Institute for Medication Management Philippine Pharmacists Association, Philippines
- Darren Brown, Clinical Academic Physiotherapist, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust; Long COVID Physio, United Kingdom
- Rani Khatib, Consultant Cardiology Pharmacist and Associate Professor University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Lucette Cysique, Associate Professor The University of New South Wales, Australia