FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
Optimising opioid use through pharmacists
Opioids have been successfully utilised in the management of pain. However, when not managed adequately, there is a risk they may lead to addiction and abuse among patients, with dramatic consequences in clinical and social terms. One consequence of this is the rise in cases of opioid-related overdose and deaths experienced in several countries. As medicine experts and an essential part of the healthcare team, pharmacists can support in addressing the overuse of opioids. This webinar aims to outline how pharmacists can optimise opioid use for improved patient outcomes.
At the end of the webinar, participants will:
1. Describe how pharmacists can enable the responsible use of opioid analgesics for chronic pain management
2. Identify opioid stewardship practices that can be adopted by pharmacists in the hospital settings
3. Explain the role that pharmacists can play in addressing the opioids overuse crisis
4. Recognize how pharmacists can contribute to opioid deprescribing and inappropriate pain relief
- Parisa Aslani, Co-chair of the working group on Patient Safety, University of Sydney, Australia
- Paul Glare, Chair of Pain Medicine and Director of the Pain Management Research Institute (PMRI) Northern Clinical School, School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine & Health, University of Sydney, Australia
- Jonathan Penm, Assistant Secretary, Hospital Pharmacy Section FIP, Australia
- Sri Suryawati, Head, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine Policy, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, Public Health and Nursing, Gadjah Mada University. Indonesia - Yogyakarta
- Daniel Zlott, PharmD, BCOP Senior Vice President, Education & Business Development American Pharmacists Association, United States