FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
Pharmacists in long-term care facilities: Before, during and after the pandemic
As the global population continues to age, pharmacists' role in long term care and retirement homes will become increasingly more crucial. During the COVID-19 pandemic, with older persons being particularly vulnerable to the most severe forms of the disease, and often isolated from their families and loved ones, the care provided by long-term care facilities became all the more important to preserve health and well-being and prevent disease. This also raised the need to discuss the future role that pharmacists may play in supporting care and medication management in these facilities and to this particular population group.
1) Understanding the role that pharmacists play in medicine optimisation and reduction of medication-related harm in long-term care facilities
2) Understand the impact of the pandemic on the role of the pharmacists in long-term care
3) Discuss multidisciplinary synergies in the context of long-term care facilities
4) Identify changes in organisational culture of reducing psychotropic prescribing in long-term care facilities
-Robert Moss, President Hospital Pharmacy Section of the International Federation of Pharmacists, The Netherlands
- Tim Chen, President FIP Social and Administrative Pharmacy Section, Australia
- Anisa Shivji, Founder and CEO, RxVisit and Long term care expert, Canada
- Hui-Chen Su, Director Taiwan Society of Health-System Pharmacists (TSHP), China Taiwan
- Mouna Sawan, Researcher Centre for Medicine Use and Safety, Monash University Research Fellow, Australia