IMPACT will aim to achieve the following main goals:
- Improve collaboration amongst governments, organisations, institutions, agencies and associations engaged in combating counterfeit medical products at the national, regional and/or international levels;
- In light of the global dimension of counterfeiting, raise awareness among international organisations and other stakeholders;
- Raise awareness amongst national and regional authorities and decision-makers in order to advocate for effective legislative measures in order to combat counterfeit medical products;
- Establish mechanisms for the effective exchange of information and to provide assistance on specific issues pertaining to combating counterfeit medical products;
- Develop technical and administrative tools to support the establishment or strengthening of international, regional and national strategies;
- Encourage and facilitate coordination among different anti-counterfeiting initiatives.
For more information on its Terms of Reference, please visit http://www.who.int/impact/en.
IMPACT will be guided by the General Meeting. The Secretariat will develop guidance principles and a practical mechanism to ensure the effective operation of the General Meeting, the necessary geographical balance, a balanced representation of governmental and non-governmental participants, and the regular presence of relevant international organizations and representatives of patients’ and health professionals’ organizations.
The General Meeting will review the reports and proposals presented to it by the Planning Group and, where appropriate, will recommend all or part of their content for endorsement by the respective IMPACT Participants, in light of the IMPACT goals and objectives. The responsibilities of the General Meeting will furthermore be to put forward proposals and make recommendations on matters within the IMPACT goal and objectives to IMPACT Participants.
It is intended that these General Meetings will be held only at the IMPACT Global Forums, at least once a year.
For more information on past proceedings, please visit our archive.